Contraindications for Atomoxetine
Strattera (Atomoxetine) should be used as a part of a total treatment program for ADHD that may include counseling or other therapies. Strattera has not been studied in children less than 6 years old.
Who should not take Strattera?
Strattera should not be taken if you or your child:
- are taking or have taken within the past 14 days an anti-depression medicine called a monoamine oxidase inhibitor.
- have an eye problem called narrow-angle glaucoma
- are allergic to anything in Strattera.
Strattera may not be right for you or your child. Before starting Strattera tell your doctor or your child’s doctor about all health conditions (or a family history of) including:
- have or had suicidal thoughts or actions
- heart problems, heart defects, irregular heartbeat, high blood pressure, or low blood pressure
- mental problems, psychosis, mania, bipolar illness, or depression
- liver problems
Tell your doctor if you or your child is pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or breastfeeding.
Can Strattera be taken with other medicines?
Tell your doctor about all the medicines that you or your child take including prescription and nonprescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements. Strattera and some medicines may interact with each other and cause serious side effects. Your doctor will decide whether Strattera can be taken with other medicines.
Especially tell your doctor if you or your child takes:
- asthma medicines
- anti-depression medicines including MAOIs
- blood pressure medicines
- cold or allergy medicines that contain decongestants
Know the medicines that you or your child takes. Keep a list of your medicines with you to show your doctor and pharmacist. Do not start any new medicine while taking STRATTERA without talking to your doctor first.
How should Strattera be taken?
- Take Strattera exactly as prescribed. Strattera comes in different dose strength capsules. Your doctor may adjust the dose until it is right for you or your child.
- Do not chew, crush, or open the capsules. Swallow Strattera capsules whole with water or other liquids. Tell your doctor if you or your child cannot swallow Strattera whole. A different medicine may need to be prescribed.
- Avoid touching a broken Strattera capsule. Wash hands and surfaces that touched an open Strattera capsule. If any of the powder gets in your eyes or your child’s eyes, rinse them with water right away and call your doctor.
- Strattera can be taken with or without food.
- Strattera is usually taken once or twice a day. Take Strattera at the same time each day to help you remember. If you miss a dose of Strattera, take it as soon as you remember that day. If you miss a day of Strattera, do not double your dose the next day. Just skip the day you missed.
- From time to time, your doctor may stop Strattera treatment for a while to check ADHD symptoms.
- Your doctor may do regular checks of the blood, heart, and blood pressure while taking Strattera. Children should have their height and weight checked often while taking Strattera. Strattera treatment may be stopped if a problem is found during these check-ups.
- If you or your child takes too much Strattera or overdoses, call your doctor or poison control center right away, or get emergency treatment.
Hello everybody! My son is 14 now and we take Strattera for 3 years already. We take it without interruption and from time to time we take some tests. Together with taking the drug my son visits a psychologist. I consider this necessary for the best results. If you only knew how I didn’t want to start giving the drug to my child. I was tormented by conscience, I constantly cried. But now I can say that if we started earlier, many bad moments of his life could be avoided. Only now I understand that taking Strattera makes my child’s life better. He could not do anything about himself. He did not even understand his difference from the others.
You can take 1 capsule of 25 mg, and you can generally divide the capsule into 60 mg per 2 (only the drug must be placed into the capsule from some other medicine).
My son takes Strattera since December, 10 mg each day. In general, the result is almost perfect. The effect of the drug felt gradually, at home it was almost as usual, but in school three weeks after the beginning of the reception I asked the teacher about Mike and she PRAISED him! First time in a year! Then I noticed that there are no conflicts with me when he’s going to do his homework. Of course, he still doesn’t want to start his lessons, as he always does, but if he starts up, at least one subject he finishes completely and then he whines about a break. And here’s how it ended a week ago, when we didn’t get the new pack on time, and we stayed 3 DAYS WITHOUT STRATTERA! On the second day all the hysterics returned at once. And when Mike started to take it again everything became fine. About the side effects we have only had drowsiness – he sleeps for 2 hours after school, so I really like it!