Strattera (Atomoxetine) should be used as part of a total treatment program for ADHD that may include counseling or other therapies. Strattera has not been studied in children younger than 6 years.
Who should not take Strattera (Atomoxetine)?
Strattera should not be taken if you or your child:
- you are taking or have taken in the past 14 days an anti-depressant drug called inhibitor of monoamine oxidase or MAOI. Some names of MAOI medicines are Nardil (Phenelzine sulfate), Parnate (tranylcypromine sulfate), and Emsam® (transdermal selegiline system).
- have an eye problem called narrow-angle glaucoma
- are allergic to anything in Strattera. See the end of this Medication Guide for list of ingredients.
- have or have had a rare tumor called pheochromocytoma.
Strattera may not be right for you or your child. Before you start Strattera, doctor or your child’s doctor about all health conditions (or family history of) including:
- have or have had suicidal thoughts or actions
- heart problems, heart defects, irregular heartbeat, high blood pressure, or low blood pressure
- mental problems, psychosis, mania, bipolar disorder or depression
- liver problems
Tell your doctor if you or your child is pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or if you are breast-feeding.
Can Strattera (Atomoxetine) be taken with other medications?
Tell your doctor about all medications you or your child take including the prescription and over-the-counter medications, vitamins and herbal supplements. Strattera and some medications can interact with each other and cause serious side effects. Your doctor will decide if Strattera can be taken with other medicines.
Especially tell your doctor if you or your child are taking:
- asthma medications
- antidepressant medications including MAOIs
- medications for blood pressure
- cold or allergy medicines that contain decongestants
Know the medications you or your child take. Keep a list of your medications with you to show your doctor and your pharmacist. Do not start any new medicines while taking Strattera without talking to your doctor first.
How should Strattera (Atomoxetine) be taken?
- take Strattera exactly as directed. Strattera comes in different doses of strength capsules Your doctor can adjust the dosage until it is right for you or your child.
- do not chew, crush or open the capsules. Swallow the entire Strattera capsules with water or other liquids. Tell your doctor if you or your child can not swallow Strattera completely. It may be necessary to prescribe a different medication.
- avoid touching a broken Strattera capsule. Wash hands and surfaces open the Strattera capsule. If dust enters your child’s eyes or eyes, get water right away and call your doctor.s
- strattera can be taken with or without food.
- strattera is usually taken once or twice daily. Take Strattera at the same time each day to help you remember. If you miss a dose of Strattera, take it as soon as remember that day If you miss a day of Strattera, do not double your dose the next day. Just skip the day you missed it.
- occasionally, your doctor may stop treatment with Strattera for a while to check for ADHD the symptoms.y
- your doctor can perform regular blood, heart, and blood pressure checks while on Strattera. Children should have their height and weight checked frequently while taking Strattera. Treatment with Strattera can be stopped if there is a problem checks
- if you or your child take too much Strattera or overdose, call your doctor or poison control center immediately, or obtain emergency treatment.
Hello everybody! My son is 14 now and we take Strattera for 3 years already. We take it without interruption and from time to time we take some tests. Together with taking the drug my son visits a psychologist. I consider this necessary for the best results. If you only knew how I didn’t want to start giving the drug to my child. I was tormented by conscience, I constantly cried. But now I can say that if we started earlier, many bad moments of his life could be avoided. Only now I understand that taking Strattera makes my child’s life better. He could not do anything about himself. He did not even understand his difference from the others.
You can take 1 capsule of 25 mg, and you can generally divide the capsule into 60 mg per 2 (only the drug must be placed into the capsule from some other medicine).
My son takes Strattera since December, 10 mg each day. In general, the result is almost perfect. The effect of the drug felt gradually, at home it was almost as usual, but in school three weeks after the beginning of the reception I asked the teacher about Mike and she PRAISED him! First time in a year! Then I noticed that there are no conflicts with me when he’s going to do his homework. Of course, he still doesn’t want to start his lessons, as he always does, but if he starts up, at least one subject he finishes completely and then he whines about a break. And here’s how it ended a week ago, when we didn’t get the new pack on time, and we stayed 3 DAYS WITHOUT STRATTERA! On the second day all the hysterics returned at once. And when Mike started to take it again everything became fine. About the side effects we have only had drowsiness – he sleeps for 2 hours after school, so I really like it!